Tonight after supper and after DH went to work early, I went out to see how many of the 36 flowering plants I could get into the ground. DS and I had picked out 12 marigolds, 12 alyssums, 6 zinnias, and 6 verbenas. Next to the driveway on the neighbor’s side, I pulled away rocks and dead grass, dug down through the weed fabric, and planted the 6 zinnias and 10 of the marigolds. Then I went to the other side of the driveway.
This is where I ran into problems. The rocks could be pulled aside, but the fabric for weeds could not be cut with my hand shovel like the other side. After trying for a good bit, I decided that it was time to ask for some help from DS. Thankfully he came out, only to find that he had no luck either. He quickly ran into the house and came back with a small pair of scissors. After gnawing at the fabric, he was finally able to dig below and begin planting. I was grateful for the help as not only was I having trouble with the fabric, there were plenty of the nasty weeds that have decided to grow everywhere this year. Since we had flood watered that area, it was much easier to pull out the weeds.
DS dug holes and planted the last 2 marigolds and as we pulled weeds, he also planted the 12 alyssums. By this time, DD had arrived outside with offers to help. We had her haul off the pulled weeds in the green wagon and give them to the chickens. Of course, the chickens were thrilled. After we cleaned up that area and made sure all was in place, we planted the 6 verbenas in the front flower bed with the peppers and herbs. I was pleased to find that the sage, oregano, and catnip are coming up and the parsley may recover. Now to just keep everything else healthy and growing!