Here are pictures from yesterday:
I was able to freeze three quarts of sliced and diced beets yesterday and from this pile of greens, I froze one quart.
This morning, DS and I went out early with the intention of picking the remaining beets, however three baby chickens that aren’t so small any more decided to fly to the top of the gate of their pen. When DS and I caught them, I told DS to go get his gloves and I found the scissors we use on the chickens. We proceeded to catch each baby hen and clip/trim their wings. No more flying for these young misses!
After that delay, DS and I picked the remainder of the beets. When we came in, I boiled two pots of beets, shucked the skins off, sliced and diced the bigger ones. The smaller ones, I sliced into pint jars and the very smallest ones I packed into pint jars. I then made a pickling syrup and when it boiled, I poured the hot syrup over the beets and sealed the jars. After a 30-minute water bath, I had 10 pints of pickled beets and four quarts of frozen beets. All in all, I think it was a good harvest of beets. And I know I have a lot more than last year.
Tomorrow, we will dig up the garlic and water the garden. It will be a short venture for a change since I have other things to do to get ready for our celebration Saturday night.