Just a quick post to note that not only are the onions planted and watered, but today I planted 12 tomato plants. This is a small amount for me, but we always get so very many so we’re trying to only grow ones that we need for canning. There will be Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes, Beefsteak tomatoes, and Roma tomatoes. DS helped me put the water walls around the tomatoes so they would get a boost in their growing.
Both our backs were sore and we were so miserable we were giggling like ninnies. Unfortunately, somewhere in the process I got a very small thorn in the pad of my left foot just under the middle toe. After considerable “digging” I was able to push it out. It still amazes me that a barely 1/8″ thorn can cause so much pain. Now it’s gone and hopefully my foot will feel better.
This morning I was able to get another section of the weeding done, however I decided that the ground was becoming too dry so this evening we watered that section. Hopefully my weeding in the morning will go much better. I also am hoping to plant my green bean seeds, 6 pepper plants, 12 cabbage plants, and 6 kohlrabi plants tomorrow. The plants will have cut off plastic water bottles over them to form a bit of a greenhouse until they are established. I don’t want to lose any plants as they look really good this year. I still will need to plant the remainder of the garden on Thursday and Friday, but hope to have it finished by the end of the week. Then it will just be watering and weeding. The only section I won’t be able to finish will be where my peas, lettuce, kale, spinach, and maybe carrots will be planted. DH is planning on tilling that area–where I’m weeding between now and the weekend–on Sunday afternoon so I will have to plant on Monday.
While waiting for DD to get off work tonight I braved the two rows of tinking needed on DS’s green socks. Because these are being knitted on size 0 dpns, I had to take off my glasses and carefully tink each little stitch. I still had about 1 1/2 needles to tink when DD came out but was able to finish that part well before we arrived home since DD drove us home. I changed the row count on the KnitWits app on my phone, and can’t wait to get those two rows added back in. I also need to add the pattern for my Florenz socks as they may end up in my bag on occasion.
I finally took some pictures of the chicks and chickens. Please forgive the lighting but it is evening and the sun didn’t want to play nicely with my lighting. The Silkies are getting bigger but the buff Orpingtons are looking more and more like they are big enough to join the regular flock. The funny thing is both kinds of chicks are scared of their own shadow. When you take in food, they run and hide in the brooder box. They come out shortly after, but they don’t want to be around us yet. This batch is very different from the other ones we have raised. They also protect each other and bunch together. It is rare when you see any one of them away from the rest.
And last but not least, here are pictures of the two apple trees, the new peach tree, and the blueberry bushes.
That’s it for now. Thanks for sticking with me this far. Hope your day was as productive as you wanted it to be!