Tuesday’s update

DD and I are almost through day two of being without DH and DS. It is so very quiet around here, particularly in the afternoon when DD is at work. One of the funniest things is that we both decide we’re tired much earlier than usual and slip into bed shortly after 10:30 p.m. Usually DD pushes it as close to midnight as possible, but last night when I mentioned that I couldn’t stay awake any longer after being awake since 3:15 a.m. when I got up to take DH to the airport, she followed shortly behind me, even though she didn’t get up until 7:30-8:00 a.m.

So let’s back up and take it from last Tuesday. Most of last week was spent getting DS ready to head back east last Friday. We had been working on that project but just needed to do one last wash and try on just a few of the clothes that he usually doesn’t wear until school starts. After double-checking his packing, which apparently didn’t do me any good because DH had to take his hoodie yesterday in his carry-on, we all pried our eyes open at 2:30 a.m. last Friday to take him to catch a ride with his youth group. They spent the Sabbath in Yellowstone enjoying God’s creation. He told us that they enjoyed watching Old Faithful blow two different times and then witnessed another geyser that was even more spectacular. Sunday they drove over 800 miles and yesterday they had another long drive. Thankfully I was able to hear from DH that DS and group made it in about 11 p.m. From the reports, they had to set up in pouring rain but I’m sure that all they were thinking about was sleep!

Last Friday after coming back from dropping DS off to catch his ride and seeing him off, DH and I drove back home. I crawled back in bed and slept 3-4 hours more because I was so very tired. Too many late nights had gone before. However, I had to go grocery shopping with DD for this week and had to do lots of cooking for DSIL’s birthday celebration Saturday night. This included eggplant parmesan, herb bread, angel food cake from scratch, and ice cream to go in the freezer. Thankfully I was able to get it all done and get a bit of sleep that night.

Sabbath we went to our home church since DH was home on vacation. This was nice as so often we are visiting other churches doing our youth group work. It was also very nice for DH as he got to catch up with people and see our pastor. That night after a big supper/celebration with family, I was fixing to slip into bed early because I wanted to get some sleep since I knew I wouldn’t get much Sunday night. DD came into our room as I had just slipped into bed and asked where Scooter was. He had been hiding on us because he was so confused about DH being home on vacation and DS being gone and our schedule wasn’t quite the same as usual. We looked and looked for him and poor DD was convinced that he was GONE! This was doubly distressing as she was already missing DS terribly. Then DH remembered that he had been outside filling the chickens’ food container and he wondered if the cat slipped out of the house at that time. He went out front and sure enough, there was the cat under his car not sure what to do. DH coaxed the cat back out and handed him over to DD who wouldn’t let go of him for a bit. Needless to say, we are watching under our feet when we go out the side door from the garage to do chores.

Sunday I worked my 12 hours but we aren’t going to talk about it. I’m still trying to wrap my brain around some of the stuff that I was told by a weekday team lead that decided to pick up one of the afternoon shifts. Let’s just say I’m definitely trusting my instincts and not opening my mouth around him. Enough said!

Sunday night when I got home, I made two phone calls, ate, and proceeded to try and get a week bit of sleep. Thankfully DH was mostly ready for his flight the next morning as we had to get up at 3:15 a.m. to make sure he made his 5:35 a.m. flight. It was very hard to wake up. DH made us both coffee but I couldn’t get my stomach to face it, so just forced myself to pay attention on road closings going to the airport as I have to repeat this next Sunday night about 11 p.m. after working another 12-hour shift. I have to confess that it was very hard to see DH go even though I know he will have a wonderful time and I want that for him. We have not been apart this long and I miss him lots, but we’ll get through it. His flight went well and he was very good to text me so that I wouldn’t worry any more than I usually do. I almost made it to the car after leaving him to go to his gate before I “lost it”. Telling myself to “grow up” didn’t really help but I pulled it together to make the drive home. Of course, I didn’t go back to sleep, so just started my day really, really early.

Yesterday we didn’t work in the garden because we were both tired and the garden was really wet from the watering done on Sunday. I did finish cleaning DS’s room and today I washed his curtains and rehung them. I hope that he will like the “fresh” look from the moved furniture and getting rid of “kid toys” so he can turn it into a young man’s room with posters and such.

Today DD and I pulled weeds in about 1/2 of the garden. I also picked summer and zucchini squash, green beans, a couple of okra, and some cherry tomatoes. The pumpkins are getting bigger and turning a bright orange. The newer green beans are coming up nicely and DD and I made sure they didn’t have to fight with weeds. The chickens were given a head of cabbage from the garden that was split and even the cat was able to run around outside. That helped to settle him down as it is more our routine. DD is at work and I’m home wondering if the electricity will go off again (thankfully only for a few minutes the last time) or if it will behave. We have 20+ mph winds and I wish we would get some of the rain that’s hiding in the clouds overhead. I think I will wait just a bit to see what the weather cooks up before I decide whether or not to work on Leila’s hair which will require some work on my sewing machine. Don’t want to get started and be stopped in the middle by the lack of electricity!


About susanssnippets

I wear multiple hats: wife of 25+ years, mother to DD22 and DS17, daughter/daughter-in-law, crafter, home engineer and too many others to list.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.