Replacing the bathroom flooring

It was a busy week for DH last week who was on vacation! One of the projects he decided to tackle was to rip up the carpet in the bathroom and put down new flooring. After watching videos on YouTube and talking to the guys at Lowe’s, we did some research into cost. We wanted to make sure that we could stay within the bounds of the money returned on a Merchandise card from the warranty on the old washer. After looking at all the different things we would need and choosing vinyl flooring and tile for the front of the garden tub, we came home to run up an estimate and decide how much we would tackle. We knew the floor was a must, but had not clue how true that really was!

DH arranged with GPID to help us try to get the floor replaced in one day. For some reason that meant that Christmas Eve was the best day for the work to be done. No baking and cleaning was possible until they were done as they kept tracking back and forth through the entire house–the kitchen being on their most direct path between the garage and the master bath. It was also quite cold–think low 20s–and yet the window in the bathroom and the door to the garage had to be left open a good portion of the day. This made for a lovely electric bill I’m sure!

DH and DS started around 9 am to pull up the “lovely” green carpet from the floor. Soon GPID arrived and joined in the fun.

Surveying the project removal of green carpet

Surveying the project removal of green carpet

GPID inspecting the toilet before considering removal

GPID inspecting the toilet before considering removal

So far so good, right? Unfortunately when GPID pulled up on the toilet tank to remove it from the floor, it shattered! This was not planned for and meant that we had to consider spending at least another $100 to replace it. After all, you can’t have a bathroom without a working toilet. The entire toilet was removed and I was given instructions as to what to go purchase at Lowe’s to replace it. However, they wanted me to wait to see if they would need anything else since the toilet would not go back in until later in the day. DS removed it in pieces to the back patio where it is still waiting for snow to melt so he can smash it into smaller bits with a sledge hammer and then put in the trash bin.

The carpet and pad were yanked up with enthusiasm and the board underneath was shop-vacced and prepared.

Goodbye carpet!

Goodbye carpet!

I honestly don’t know what the previous owner was thinking by having carpet in a bathroom and then up the side of the garden tub. Along the way, we discovered there was mold under the carpet that had to be treated after everything was removed. Thankfully we had been advised to put down particle board underneath the vinyl. Off to the garage the three guys went to see what they could come up with for cutting the two boards that had to be pieced together to seal the floor under the vinyl.

Hmmm...now what were those measurements? Is this the right side?

Hmmm…now what were those measurements? Is this the right side?

DS learned a lot from GPID during this project, including how to be careful about which side a board is going to be on before cutting a hole in it.

Measurements MUST be accurate!

Measurements MUST be accurate!

It was tempting to just tell them to finish with this board as the look of it wasn’t half bad, but we had spent money on vinyl to finish off the floor, so on they went to get the floor complete. After a quick sandwich for each, they dug in to get the work done.

Hold still while I trim this doorway.

Hold still while I trim this doorway.

After gluing the floor down and rolling over it to smooth the glue and vinyl, they could declare they had finished the floor. The trim was going to be added after 3-5 days of curing/drying of the glue.

Almost there.

Almost there.

You will notice the green on the front of the board in front of the garden tub. This will be covered with the same particle board and then a nice tile, however we have to wait a bit until we can do this. What we want will cost about $75 to complete and will be really nice. A quick trip to the store to purchase the new toilet which actually turned out to be $11 less than GPID had said it should cost, and it was installed.

It even works!

It even works!

DH has since put down some 4″ wide trim on the shower side of the bathroom but I don’t have pictures. This side and under the cabinet still have to be completed. Hopefully that will be done very soon.

It was so very nice to have a vinyl floor to step out on with a rug on it instead of carpet that quickly became soggy and nasty. Hopefully soon we will be able to put in the tile on the front of the garden tub. In the above picture you will also notice a narrow wood edging at the top of the tub. This is to be yanked out and a nice tile splash will be put around there as well. We will also paint the walls a pale yellow that actually does coordinate with both the chosen tile and this flooring. Coordinating everything with the pale yellow was a priority.

Around 4 pm the work was done and shortly thereafter, everything was cleaned up. DH was sore for several days because he used muscles that he doesn’t usually use. Still, it has been wonderful to enjoy our new floor and just in time for Christmas.

 

Advertisements

About susanssnippets

I wear multiple hats: wife of 25+ years, mother, chauffeur/riding companion to DD22 and DS17, daughter/daughter-in-law, crafter, home engineer and too many others to list.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Replacing the bathroom flooring

  1. claire93 says:

    oh yes, – lovely floor ans so much more practical than carpet.

Comments are closed.