As promised, our household has seen quite a few changes in the last two weeks. It’s a little hard to know where to start, but I’ll just dive in while I have a few minutes.
- DS has been adjusting to traditional homeschooling, complete with teenage grumpiness that has begun to disappear for the most part. While I wasn’t sure how this would work out and neither was he, it has become a nice routine and he is back to “blossoming”, if you can say that about a guy. Books are coming home regularly from the library that cover a wide variety of topics and genres. Because he sometimes reads so very fast, I have threatened to get a huge stack. It wouldn’t take him long to dig through it, but I want him to learn how to savor a book. So far he has read Crime and Punishment, Hiroshima by John Hersey, along with a few other books and he started Canterbury Tales today. This reading does not include his World History book which is a nice thick and interesting tome. Saxon Algebra 2 is helping him to sort through his work and figure out where he has gone wrong to get to the right answer. He has written one essay and should start an essay tomorrow on a different topic for Composition. We have also added a few repeated topics in Biology and two new classes: Introduction to High School Engineering and C++ Programming. The Programming class was added last week after DH found some tutorials he liked. DS spends 6-8 hours with breaks each day digging through the various classes and materials as well as reading, relaxing, and relearning how to enjoy school.
- DH moved from his night shift of four years to day shift this last Monday. We are all still adjusting. For instance, two nights ago he was so tired he went to bed at 8 pm. Most of that was due to rearranging his internal clock. Then, this morning when the alarm went off at 4 am, I woke up and couldn’t go back to sleep until right before my alarm went off. Arghhh!!! Now I just want to doze.
- With DH gone during the day, I am slowly working on cleaning some areas–sorting through stuff–that I haven’t been able to get into because he would always be sleeping and need quiet. I hope to have our bedroom sorted out by Friday as he informed me that his work has him off work next week to burn comp time. With him home all day and night for a week, I don’t anticipate getting lots done in the cleaning area. Still it will be a nice break for him and nice to have him home. We will still have school etc.
- With the green socks complete, I have been making myself knit on the sleeves of DD’s sweater. I am almost halfway down the second one and then it will only be a matter of blocking, weaving in ends and pronouncing it done.
- After DD’s sweater is done, I plan on starting the sleeves to DS’s new sweater, using them as a swatch. I will have to knit it mostly during the day as the yarn is a bit dark but it will be quite lovely.
- Even though I have two different socks cast on, they are just sitting there because I really want to get DD’s sweater finished. Wish I could stay awake and knit faster, but it is what it is.
- Pathfinder Bible Experience is this Sabbath over the book of “Matthew” in the Bible and I hope/think all of my plans are in place for this event. Being in charge of this competition for our whole conference is quite a challenge and I hope I haven’t forgotten anything. The team of staff have been so good in offering suggestions and helping pull it all together. I have also been blessed with willing people to officiate as judges, quiz masters, and support staff. Once we get through this event, we will tweak it for a similar event in February. DS is competing with his team in both events.
- DD purchased new lenses for her glasses and a pair of prescription sunglasses last Friday. She was complaining that she couldn’t see the screen at the front of the church so when we had her eyes checked, we learned that her left eye was worse than before so she needed new lenses and had to go to a much thinner, more expensive lens. Both pairs should be in by the 27th of this month if not before. She can hardly wait.
That pretty much sums it all up for now. I won’t have a whole lot to add until after this weekend at the very earliest. My hope is that all of you are keeping warm and dry!