This is one of our busiest times of year. You would think that the holidays late in the year are crazier and busier, but we seem to be running circles around ourselves right now.
So where to start as I don’t have much time? In no particular order:
- Another birthday has passed. Despite efforts to pretend they don’t happen anymore, right? One of my sisters sent this lovely bouquet of flowers with a teddy bear. Thanks so much for remembering, Sis!
- The plants are growing and hopefully next week DH will have time to till the garden so we can plant it. Our nights are still in the low 40s so I will most likely only be able to put in onion, lettuce, beets, garlic, and peas. I can’t wait until all my tomatoes, peppers, watermelon, cabbage, and honey dew plants are in the ground. Also want to plant, green beans, black turtle beans, okra, cucumbers, one yellow squash, one zucchini squash, and maybe some kale. The kids are lobbying for the kale to be forgotten.
- My herb and rose garden out in front of the kitchen window is doing well. I cleared it out and as soon as it is a bit warmer, I will plant my marigold seeds from last year.
I have one chocolate mint and I think (?) this might be it.
- DS has been growing an amaryllis in a pot since just before Spring Break as part of his Biology class. It has been slow at times, but I think we may actually have a blossom one of these days.
When the flower blooms, DS will take his last measurements and write up his lab report. Then if it is warm enough, he and I will transfer it to the front herb/flower bed and make that its new home. We will just have to remember to trim it back and cover it with straw this fall to protect it for next year.
- The apple trees have been watered again today and the blueberry bushes are being watered. Everything is slow to come out, though the apple trees have blossoms. I am afraid that we have lost the peach tree to the harsh sub-zero temperatures we had early last winter so we will have to find another one to take its place.
We are really needing a vacation away from everything and everyone, but that won’t happen until after campmeeting mid-June. This vacation will have to be without computers, laptops, and the only electronics will be our phones (which will need to be used limitedly instead of as a means of entertainment) and the kids’ Kindles. DS should have his by then as it is supposed to be shipped on May 11. We were very blessed to be able to get him a brand-new Kindle Fire HD 7 for $79 through Amazon. Usually those are $139, however I happened to see an offer for the lower price and so grabbed it. DD pitched in as this is part of his birthday gift, though early since his birthday isn’t until late in June. Still, you just can’t pass up an opportunity to get those for just over 1/2 price. It will be really nice for him to have for reading lots of his British Literature poetry, drama, and novel assignments next fall as well as all the regular reading he does. I would post what else we are planning on getting, but sometimes he reads this and I don’t want to give away all the surprises.
Well, enough for now as the laundry is calling, Algebra 2 is calling, planning for next year is calling, and the timer just went off to move the hose to the other blueberry bush.