The sunshine is popping out in between clouds of rain which is so very good for the garden. We have had so much rain that finally I just went out in the sprinkles this morning and put in the black turtle beans. Of course, now we have a bit of sunshine so hopefully everything will grow, grow, grow. While out in the garden I found volunteer “pumpkin” (?) and volunteer “butternut” or other squashes (?) coming up. So far they are growing better than anything, though I didn’t ask them to come back up in those spots. I’m leaving them for now as they can weave around the other things I have planted, as long as they don’t choke them out. I also found lettuce and spinach coming up:
The ground looks quite dry for all the rain that we have gotten in the last one and a half weeks but you don’t have to go very deep and it’s nice and moist. Thankfully we are supposed to have rain off and on through the end of this week, but also cooler than I like temperatures.
The amaryllis, rosemary, and rhubarb have all been put into the front bed with the herbs and a couple of roses. So far they are all doing well although I think the rosemary would like more warmth and dryness.
After the blossoms faded, we waited a few days and then moved this bulb outside where it would be protected but hopefully will bloom again.
Since last year’s rosemary died over the winter, I’m thinking this bed will need to be covered in straw to protect my plants. My parsley also died and didn’t come back even though my mother-in-law used to have it come back strongly every year when she was alive. So this fall we will get one bale of straw just to put over all the plants in this bed.
One of the stems broke during the transplant process, but otherwise this plant is MUCH happier outside where there is more room to grow roots. I’m hoping that next year we will have plenty to harvest from this plant to make rhubarb/strawberry and rhubarb/cherry pies and cobblers.
Yesterday one of our rose’s actually had a dark red bloom on it and there have been a few more today. And then I found red buds on the miniature rose that DH gave me a couple of years ago.
Additionally, the sage blossomed out almost immediately this spring and since I have plenty of it in the cupboard, I chose to let it blossom and maybe spread seeds. This herb made it nicely through a very cold winter. The blossoms are so very pretty.
The lighting in today’s pictures is not the best due to little sun–yes it has disappeared again–but that doesn’t stop the chicks from growing. This week the black Sexlinks are now 3 weeks old and the New Hampshire Reds–still little yellow fluff balls–are 2 weeks old. A couple of the blacks are starting to see if they can fly in their box, but they are nowhere near having all of their feathers.
The blacks are looking a little “ratty” as they change their soft down for lovely black feathers, but this stage will pass quickly. They all bed down nicely together so I imagine that like last year’s batch, these six will be their own group for quite some time, even when introduced and hopefully integrated into the larger flock.
And lastly, just a quick report with pictures on the knitting and crocheting of hats for the Click for Babies project. Between DH and I, we have completed eight hats and I have #9 cast on, but had to put it aside because I am still attempting to finish the cross stitching of THE SAMPLER. Here are a few pictures that don’t really show the lovely purples:
The colors are actually two shades of purple with white in between, but the lighting today is just not helping. I have another one of these cast on and the ribbing done, but can only work on it when waiting for DD to get off work or at appointments, which thankfully we don’t have too many right now.
So other than the grass desperately needing mowing and weed whacking and the garden needing sunshine, all is well in our world. The school year is ending soon, but that will be a whole separate report. Hope all is well in your corner of the world.