Earlier this week I was finally able to complete the knitting on DS’s girlfriend’s shawl. There was a slight delay while I waited for an order of two more skeins of the Blackberry colorway yarn to come in from Knit Picks. Friday morning the shawl was soaked, careful rolled in a towel or two to get excess water out, and pinned to my blocking waxed cardboard that my DFIL had given me back when he was driving a moving van.
I then put the board with pinned shawl in our bedroom on the bed and set up a box fan to help it dry. Towards evening the shawl was dry so it was unpinned and the process of weaving in yarn ends began. This took longer than I thought it would even though there were only three colors. Every time I changed colors, a new end was set aside to weave in.
Finally there was a finished photo! I don’t have blocking wires to use, so some of the lines are not quite as straight as I wish, however, I did get it done.
Unfortunately this isn’t such a cool picture on our bed, however the colors are pretty true to life so I am glad for that. It has now been carefully fold and wrapped in tissue paper. Then everything has been placed in a cute bag to give to her today along with the toaster we purchased to give her for toasting cold bagels in her dorm room on Sabbath mornings. DS has ordered a gift for her that she wanted, however it has not arrived. We are hoping that it will be here before she goes home for Christmas.
UPDATE #1: This last Thursday I came to the realization that I was not making any significant progress on DD’s stocking and if I didn’t get some time in on it each day, there was not much chance of it being finished. With two more gifts to be knitted (each thankfully only one skein), I had to come up with a plan. So with rare exception–today being one of those–I will try to stitch a minimum of 1 hour on the outlining and embellishments each day. Yesterday I completed the wallpaper striping and began working on the curtains and window. There wasn’t a huge amount of progress but hopefully after the weekend I will be able to post a picture showing significant and noticeable progress. For now, this update will have to be enough.
UPDATE #2: In the aforementioned yarn order with two skeins of the Blackberry Colorway of DK Gloss yarn from Knit Picks, I also ordered a skein of Chroma Superwash fingering weight yarn in the Avalon colorway. DH had chosen this color for a new pair of socks (size 12 mens), however when it came it was more light purple than I had anticipated. The Earl Grey socks by the Yarn Harlot have been started and other than twoday when everything else decided it had to be done, I have also put this in a planned goal for each day in hopes that I might get the socks made by Christmas. So my “Rotation” is as follows:
AM – Spend a minimum of 1 hour working on DD’s Christmas stocking.
AM/PM – To complete the last two gifts, knit 4 cm each day for a total of 20 per gift.
PM – Knit at least one repeat of the listed pattern each day until the heel flap is reached then set appropriate goals to complete the remainder of the sock.
When I stick to this and don’t get distracted into needing to bake, buy groceries, and clean the house, I am able to meet my goals as listed above and feel like I have accomplished lots. Hopefully I can stick to this next week so all is finished on time. I will show pictures at some point in the near future.