Happy New Year’s Eve! Another busy year has snuck by before I knew it. A lot has been accomplished and while not all goals have been met, many have been finished. Since my last post much has kept me busy which has kept me from posting, so we will finish up this year and hope that 2018 will see more consistent posting from this corner of the internet.
Thanksgiving was a busy but thankful day. A shift was covered at my work and DH pulled a shift at his work. However, thanks to some careful planning by all we were able to enjoy a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner in the evening.
Black Friday was largely ignored as DH had to work and neither DS or DD wanted to brave the crowds. A quick trip to the grocery store for food for the coming week was all I was willing to brave. Other extended family and friends went out and braved the crowds, but we chose to either shop online or not at all.
Cross stitching continued on a pillow top for a Christmas for DSIL. It is very hard to make something for her and I didn’t really want to purchase a gift when there is plenty to use in my stash. Since she is a fan of all things “Jane Austen”, I finally stitched up the freebie from the Gazette64 website and made it into a pillow for her bed. She was very pleased with it. This project was started on November 14 and has now been gifted. The fabric is a scrap of 18 count Aida with DMC colors 157, 162, 211, 310, 321, 333, 742, 744, 794, 813, 824, 869, 919, 951, 966, 3078, 3706, 3713, and 3815. Cotton fabric was cut into strips and added to all sides with a solid lavender back. The lace was a scrap that I had in my sewing stash and the buttons were from my button box. A 12″ x 16″ pillow form is in the middle.
During this same time when I was working on this project, I started and finished the ornament from Prairie Moon. This ornament was completed on November 20. This one was a challenge to complete on 14 count Fiddlers Cloth and if I were to stitch it again, I would complete it on an 28 count evenweave or linen. The colors were all of the called-for DMC as listed in the 2008 Just Cross Stitch ornament issue.
Unfortunately after this ornament, I was unable to complete my goals for the 2017 year:
- Two more ornaments on the 1st and 15th of December
- FFO all of the ornaments stitched for the 2017 year
- FFO DD’s stocking
The two ornaments have been moved to January 2018 and hopefully I will complete them as well as the two slated for the 1st and 15th of January. Fabric and supplies have been purchased during the sale at Joann Fabrics to complete the ornaments and the stocking.
In the meantime, no laziness was allowed for this household. After Thanksgiving the final 30 quarts of applesauce were put up and stored on the shelves. Work continued on the headband and mitten set for our niece and on the 29th of November a pair of socks were cast on for a Christmas present for ex-DBIL who came in for Christmas. The socks were knitted using the Jogless Hiking Socks pattern on Ravelry in fingering weight yarn (dark blue) from Joann Fabrics by Debbie Norville with strips of a scrap of contrasting wool (tan) from KnitPicks. The first sock in the pair was finished on December 16 and the second sock was finished on December 22. For some reason my second socks usually go faster, particularly this pattern because I know there is just a quick change and then a few more rounds. There is one more skein of the navy blue left and if I can find another contrast, I hope to make a pair for me in 2018. The numbers will have to be reworked as this is much to big for me.
The headband was finished on December 25 and mitten #1 started. Unfortunately, I don’t have a finish picture of the headband and only a WIP picture of the mittens. I have to remember that starting a mitten late at night isn’t a good idea because I was ready to start thumb stitches and realized that the mitten was way too big for the intended recipient. So everything was ripped back and restarted on the 26th. By the 27th, everything was completed on the first mitten except the thumb. Mitten #2 was started on the 28th and finished on the 29th except for the thumb. It is hoped that by the time this post appears, the thumbs will be completed and the headband and mittens wrapped to be given to our niece for her birthday. This year I chose to use a sport acrylic yarn in a lovely bright orange. The color here is a lighter and slightly duller shade but you can see the pattern.
And yes, in the midst of everything, we did celebrate Christmas. Our tree went up the Saturday evening after sundown after Thanksgiving. The lighting isn’t great, but you can see that when I took this picture, we had experienced our first snow of the year. You can also see that there are no presents because Scooter likes to sleep under the tree each day.
Our first snow was December 15 and only about 3/4″. However, we received 4-5″ on December 23 and it is still hanging around a bit. This was the view out the front door after a bit of sunshine and a little bit of melting. We received the rest of the snow on Christmas Eve as I was driving home from work.
This is a bit of a long post, so I will write a separate one about my goals for 2018. Even though I didn’t complete all of the ornaments I hoped to, I did complete most of them so I have set up more goals for this year and already have my calendar book (homemade planner for all things crafty) to keep track of what I work on and when. Look for that post following this one.
Thank you for all of your continued support and encouragement through my sporadic posting this year. May the New Year be the best yet for each of you!