Still crafting a bit

Even though I have not been posting much I have been trying to cross stitch, knit, crochet, or sew a little bit each day. With DFIL’s heart surgery last month and the Pathfinder season coming to and end for this year, along with planning for two huge Pathfinder events in next 12 months and work and finishing up DR’s senior year of high school, crafting time has taken a hit.

The only project that traveled well during this time up until recently was another Virus Shawl in the Red Velvet color way from Caron Cakes. I hope to have the third cake and shawl finished and off in the mail to my mother for Mother’s Day in May. Unfortunately there is no progress picture however I hope to get a final picture before it is put in the mail.

Another cross stitch Christmas ornament has been finished nut not fully finished. 

This is Glad Tidings from the Just Cross stitch Christmas issue of 2008. Fabric is white 14 count Aida which I don’t like but was too far along before I realized the doors and alphabet were 1 over 1 on a linen. That just shows you where my mind has been.

Right now I am trying to finish the ornament by Thistle Threads from the same magazine. It is my first foray into perforated paper projects. While it is pretty I am not sure I like working on it. Even so I hope to have the stitching done by April 30 as a new ornament is scheduled to start then. Also planning on a picture of it when finished stitching.

I will leave you with a picture of the bridge and area where we made a day trip to finalize more arrangements for our huge Pathfinder Camporee in September. 

Posted in Uncategorized | 3 Comments

Time flies too fast

It has been way too long since I posted last but life has kept charging along, dragging me with it. This week has been a bit different as DFIL went in for emergency heart surgery after a return from a mission trip. God has graciously brought him through with flying colors and we will look at three months of cardiac rehab. I see more knitting and crocheting than cross stitching in my immediate future.

Crafting has been limited but I am going to slip in a picture or two here.

Side one and three of another ornament. I had to sub two of the threads because I didn’t want to spend $5-8 per skein. I also am not using the called for fabric so a change was mad for edges for when I seam up later. I have also stitched side 2 and most of side 4. However I don’t have a picture. My plan is to hopefully finish aside 4 and the personalized bottom piece tonight or this weekend and set aside to put together later in the year when I have a finishing session.

This is ornament number 5. Nothing was changed other than the fabric. I love the look of this fabric but it is a very stiff piece of Aida. My plan  was to finish this ad a flat ornament however DD is very insistent that it be framed and put on the wall. It is small so will be easy to frame. 

The Knit Picks Chroma socks in the Fog Bank color way are still being knit on occasionally and will be one of the projects that will see more love in the next three months. There isn’t a new picture but I am on the 3rd repeat…of the first sock.

The scrap cowl is done. I am pretty sure that of the weather is nasty next winter I will enjoy it. 

In the midst of everything else this week I was finally able to find Caron Cakes in the Red Velvet colorway. This colorway is closest to the color combination that my mom expressed an interest in having another Virus Shawl made from. I have been carrying it with me to work on since I started it Wednesday morning while DFIL was in surgery. I am about halfway through a cake after two mornings. It didn’t go with me today but will be back with me tomorrow when we spend the morning at the hospital. I am using a Caspian rocket hook from Knit Picks in size E, I believe. Again I haven’t taken a picture. 

As I have written this I am realizing I really need to have another photo session to catch up. It has just been easier to craft…after all it is great therapy, right?

Posted in Uncategorized | 7 Comments

FO 02-21-17

This evening the last French knot was put in the center of a flower and DD’s stocking was declared an FO. Now my happy dance can truly begin. In the last week or two I have been putting lots of time into finishing the backstitching, lazy daisies, and French knots so that I could put this project aside as a finished object (FO). Here is where I was when last I posted:


February 15, 2017

This was the middle section and I  rolled it down to the bottom and toe to finish up:


February 21, 2017

Unfortunately the picture had to be taken inside at night and so the colors are not showing as rich as they are in reality. Here is a picture of the stocking in its entirity:


FO as of February 21, 2017

There was a lot of pleasure in putting the last few French knots in this stocking and seeing it finally finished. I will still have to turn it into a fully finished object (FFO) but that can come later after I purchase fabric, cording, ribbon, and work towards sewing it all together. DD’s name has been obscured for privacy but you can still see how it looks. It seems strange that it is all done, but I am pleased with the outcome.

Next will be loading more fabric on the frame to start DS’s. I am going to alternate work on it with stitching on ornaments, stitching on DH’s characters (which need to also be loaded on very large dowels to go in the scroll frame, knitting, and making a WIP roll and a project bag or two. For now I am off to organize projects and perhaps even load fabric. If I don’t load it tonight, it will be worked on tomorrow.

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , | 6 Comments